Our skin has a natural protective barrier designed to reduce moisture loss and offer protection from the elements. Unfortunately, many aggressive environmental factors can compromise this layer, leaving the skin vulnerable to moisture loss and irritation. Even soap and water can strip the skin of moisture and protection, making it even more important to restore hydration levels.
But what exactly can moisturisers do for your skin?
- Moisturisers attract water to the skin cells and keep it locked in for a period of time, thus offering hydration and causing the skin to appear plumper and reducing fine lines.
- They restore the protective layer on the surface of the skin, slowing down moisture loss and offering some protection from irritants.
- Well-moisturised skin will appear to have improved texture and will look smoother than dehydrated skin.
- Dry and irritated skin can feel tight, itchy and uncomfortable. Moisturising offers relief from these sensations, making the skin feel soft and supple again.
- Choosing a moisturiser with an SPF will protect your skin from harmful UV rays that can cause serious damage as well as accelerating the ageing process.
Choose your moisturiser carefully according to your skin type and needs. Oily, acne-prone skin, for example, will need an oil-free moisturiser that will not clog pores; combination skin may need different products for dry and oily patches. Finding the right moisturiser will ensure that your skin looks and feels hydrated and smooth and will provide the perfect base for applying make-up.