1. Dead or damaged skin cells can still accumulate on the skin, giving the complexion a dull appearance. Exfoliation removes these unwanted cells to reveal new and healthy skin underneath.
2. Oily skin suffers from an excessive production of sebum, which can slow down the loss of dead skin cells, literally keeping them stuck to the surface of the skin.
3. If the accumulation of dead skin cells and sebum becomes too great, pores become blocked and bacteria proliferate, resulting in infection and inflammation (spots).
4. Regular use of an exfoliator will improve the renewal of the skin and encourage a smoother complexion with a better texture.
5. For those who suffer from blemishes and need to apply a specific treatment, exfoliation will actually prepare the skin and improve absorption of the spot treatment.
It is important, however, to choose your exfoliator carefully. While it does need to effectively remove dead skin cells, it must not be harsh or too abrasive or it could do more harm than good. Dermalogica Exfoliants are carefully developed to suit specific skin types and needs and to preserve and protect the structure of the skin.